Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Tanner's First Grade Field Trip to War Eagle Caverns

Today I got to accompany Tanner and his first grade class to War Eagle Caverns. I love getting to go on field trips with my kids and this one did not disappoint. It was such a cool place. Look at all those cute first graders!!
First thing they did was the gem panning. Each kid was given a bag of dirt with various rocks and gems inside. They poured part of it out into their dish and panned for gems in the water. This was probably Tanner's favorite part of the day. It was so cute to see his excitement when he would find a gem or some fool's gold!




By the end of it, he had a baggie full of different gems and he was so in love with them all. Each kid also got a little card with all the various gems listed so they could figure out which ones they had. Tanner LOVED this so much. 

After panning for gems, Tanner's class when on a treasure hunt. They all listened attentively while the guide told them clues to look for and things to avoid. It was pretty cute. 

The kids wanted to see how many people they could fit on this stump. We managed 7- pretty impressive. 
War Eagle is such a gorgeous place!
We also did a fossil dig on the treasure hunt. 

At the end, each kid got a "wooden nickel". Apparently wooden nickels were used in trading and buying in the "olden days". This particular wooden nickel can be used for a return trip to War Eagle, free of charge. 
Our last activity for the day was a hike through the caverns. I was shocked at our primitive the caverns still were. When we visited "Blanchard Caverns" years ago, the paths were all cement and had hand rails. Not the case here. I was worried some of the kids would fall into the stream. It was fun but it was stressing out this momma. 
Jesse James hung out in these caverns a long time ago and many people distilled moonshine down there. Kind of a fun history. 

We hiked all around and I was so worn out at the end. I think the tour guide was worried I would go into labor. He kept making jokes about how he would have to charge me extra if I gave birth in the cave. I am due in exactly a week, so his fears weren't unwarranted. lol.
But we all survived and baby boy is still on the inside. 
After the cave explorations, I headed home and Tanner and his class ate their sack lunches before heading back to school. It was such a fun day and I'm glad I got to spend the time with Tanner and his little friends. Turns out, first grade is equally as adorable as kindergarten!

No comments:

Post a Comment