Monday, May 31, 2010

Bronchiolitis

Yeah its 6 am and I'm wide awake... Why? well because Tanner has been coughing all night and I finally couldn't take laying next to him and listening to his labored breathing any longer. Its just so sad.
So Tanner was diagnosed with Bronchiolitis last week. Bronchiolitis is a lung infection caused by a virus. Symptoms start out like a cold, with a runny/stuffy nose and slight fever and then progresses to wheezing, rapid/difficult breathing and rapid heartbeat. Supposedly it runs its course in 7-10 days and then goes away.
We went to the doctor on Wednesday, so its been 5 days and I can't believe how much this infection has progressed. The doctor said Tanner was too young to be diagnosed with asthma but he has asthma like symptoms.
Our pediatrician prescribed a nebulizer (updraft machine) for him with two different medications-albuterol being one of them. Albuterol is supposed to treat bronchiospasms and is given every 2-4 hours as needed for coughing. The other medicine was pulmicort. The pulmicort is given twice a day through the updraft machine (inhalation) and when given regularly is supposed to decrease the number and severity of the "asthma" attacks. These medications don't actually treat the infection, they just lessen the symptoms.
So we're pretty much doing the updraft machine at least 5 times a day right now, usually more. He has to have it in the middle of the night when he wakes up coughing and about every three hours during the day right now.
I'm not really sure why I'm blogging about this, maybe just to get everything I know about this infection written out somewhere so I can better process it and not feel so entirely helpless.
I feel like this medication hasn't made a difference at all and I'm hoping in another 5 days this just all goes away. The doctor said he wants to keep Tanner on the updraft machine of a year. He wants him to be wheeze free for a year and that way we can hopefully prevent any future complications like asthma and hospitalizations. I feel like a year is kind of severe for a 9 month old... but if I KNEW- really knew- it would really help in later in life I would have no problem with it.
For now I'm just a helpless, frustrated mom who can only put a medicated mist to her baby's face throughout the day and hope it helps. Tanner isn't himself right now and even though he's also having Tylenol and Motrin throughout the day he still doesn't feel good. Its so hard to see your baby sick and not be able to do anything but
"wait it out".
Has anyone had any experience with bronchiolitis? Any words of advice or comfort?
Yours sincerely,
Frustrated and helpless

4 comments:

  1. So I told you about my nephew who has always had problems like this when he gets a cold? They've been using a nebulizer for years... anyway, a couple days ago he had his first asthma attack, and they just diagnosed him with asthma. Sad. Hope things work out better for Tanner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geeze! Thats not what I want to hear. Your poor little nephew. I really hope this all just goes away! Tanner is so pathetic when he coughs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if Carson was every diagnosed with brocholoitis but every time he got a cold it would go straight to his chest and he would cough forever, seriously like weeks. He had a nebulizer and everything and I tell you that kid always had a cold and cough! But it is is funny becuase he just totally out grew it. He rarely gets sick and if he does, he doesn't do the cough thing anymore. I like to think he got it all out early! So hopefully that will be the same case with Tanner. You need to use the steam vaporizer at night and they have the ones that you can add the Vicks liquid, that worked miracles for us! Hope he gets better soon. That is just miserable. Your trip looked fun, I love Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah we had major issues with Isabella for a few months... we did a humidifier with lavender essential oil in it as well as on her chest and feet.. she got much better and seemed to just grow out of it... I was diagnosed with asthma when I was younger and used albuteral and other meds.. and I dont recommend them... not only did I have major mood fluctuations from them but steroid use prolongs infections and makes your body more susceptible to infections since they lower your immune response... I am asthma free and med free now .. turns out the meds made it worse ... I just drink hot herbal teas and use benedryl when absolutely necessary I also changed my diet quite a bit and that helped immensely!
    I hope your little man gets better.. I hate when babies are sick and all you can do it pray and cuddle them.. it's such a helpless feeling ! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete