Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mother's Day

Mother's day was a very low-key event this year. Chris was out of town for annual training and my dad was out of town for business, so the only man around was my brother, Joseph. No worries though- he totally threw together a delicious meal for us on Mother's day!
But lets start from the beginning. The Saturday before Mother's day, the kids and I met my mom for Thai food, then she came back to our house to stay the night. In the morning I made her a big breakfast for Mother's day and the kids and I gave her our presents. It was great and I was so happy she was here so I could spoil her on her special day.
Then it was off to church for primary responsibilities and then home for naps. We went to my parent's house for dinner where Joseph served us a wonderful meal. Then the kids played for a bit while we visited and it was home by 9:00 pm.

It was a little sad because even though I was able to wish my mom and my mother-n-law a happy mother's day, Chris and I never got to talk. He had been busy all day with training and then had to go to bed around 6 pm because they had to wake up at 3 am. We played phone tag that day but never got to actually talk to each other.
He sent me a text and that was about the best we were able to do.

We talked the next day, but I'm not going to lie- I missed my husband. He would usually make me breakfast and lunch and then do something special- like a gift card for a mani/pedi or a massage. And then he and my dad and brother would make a big dinner for us. Its a great holiday!

He, of course, made it up to me when he got home and ordered me a new phone, but I still missed him!
Anyways, that was my Mother's day 2012.
I have to say, as my kids get older (especially my almost 3-year old) I realize what a kind and patient woman my mother was and still is- maybe even more so. I know my kids are loud and rambunctious sometimes, but she is calm, cool and collected. She never raises her voice and even when she is discipling, you know she still loves you. She's my role-model. I want to be just like her and even though someday (most days) I fall really short- I'm trying. Because if I can't be half the mother she is- I will be happy. She's amazing!
And a word about my Mother-n-law. Well she raised three boys. I think that's enough said. She's a wonderful, loving woman who means so much to me. She's thoughtful and would drop everything at a moment's notice to help her kids. She's been such a support to me and I feel lucky to have married into a family with such a great matriarch.
Motherhood is definitely not a cake walk. It tries my patience EVERY DAY, but its SO WORTH IT!
I can't imagine my life without my crazy little Tanner bear. I can't imagine not hearing his adorable high-pitched voice every morning when he comes running into my room saying "Hi Mom" and kisses me on my cheek. Or seeing him read books to his little sister or finding him snuggled up in my bed when I say its nap time. He brings such joy to my life and I love him more than words can say.

As for Bailey- I fall more in love with her every day. We had a rough start- with the whole non-stop crying for 3 months straight- but now everything has changed. I love to hear her call my name. "Mama" never sounded to sweet. I love to see her light up when I walk into a room or watch her crawl after me as I go into another room. I love it that she is perfectly content in my arms. She's a ray of sunshine and I'm so happy I get to be her mom.

I feel blessed to have such a sweet little family and I'm trying my best to be a sweet mom. Patience is not one of my best attributes but I'm working on it.
Happy Mother's day to all my favorite moms out there. Thank you for all you do for me and your wonderful examples!
ps.Here are a few pictures. I put my kids in their matching easter outfits again because I love them. And I made myself a matching skirt. ( I know- I'm super weird)
But anways. Here's my skirt and then a few of me and the kids.

This is how our pictures usually go....

Yeah- me totally frustrated, Tanner has given up trying to hold still and is preparing to bolt and Bailey is pulling her headband off for the millionth time...
But eventually I might get a good one. Love these kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment