Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Romantic Weekend Away

A week ago Chris and I took off on our first "getaway" since Tanner was born. My parents advised us, when we got married, to go on ATLEAST one getaway a year. Its good for your marriage and helps you remember you were a wife or husband before you were a mom or dad. I'd almost forgot what it felt like to dress up. Chris and I do pretty good about going on one date a week. My parents HAPPILY watch Tanner for us whenever we need/want and we feel SOOOO blessed to have them near.
But no date night can compare to this 3-day getaway. It was A-MAZING! Completely awesome.
We left Thursday at 12:00 and drove up to Springfield (2 hours away). We ate lunch at Cheddars (YUMMY) and then went to JoAnn's, Best Buy, Michaels, Target and Bass Pro Shop. Crazy romantic right? We had a blast though. Then we ate dinner at this sublime sushi place. For the first time in history- Chris and I couldn't finish what we'd ordered. There was so much of it and it was soooo good. (Don't worry- we got a to-go box, and I ate it later that night)
After dinner we headed down to Branson (30 minutes from Springfield) and checked in to the Radisson. After a little bit of musical rooms we got settled in.
The next morning we ordered room service for breakfast and then we went to a tour of this timeshare resort we would love to buy into when we have the money. It was awesome! Someday we will vacation there. (Because we did that tour our hotel room was completely free and we had a $100 Bass Pro Gift card to spend-not bad right?)
Then we headed off to Silver Dollar City. We got there around 11:30 am or so and spent the entire day there. But the best part was- we got in TOTALLY FREE. As our shuttle pulled up we got off to go buy tickets (which are about $60/each) and on our way to the ticket window a lady stopped us. She said she had buddy passes that she couldn't use but they would get us in free. The passes were only valid for a few days so she just gave them to us. How awesome is that?
Then we get into the park and its pretty empty. There are NO lines. We could have ridden the rides over and over if we wanted. The weather was perfect- about 75 and sunny. We ate a ton of yummy food and when we were thoroughly exhausted we headed back to our hotel.
Once there we headed down to the pool to relax and then hit the hot tub. Later we went back up to Springfield to make one last JoAnn's run and ate dinner at "Texas Roadhouse." We were going to go play mini golf and ride go-carts but after walking around the park all day- we were too tired. ( I know- we're getting old)
The next morning we ordered room service again and lounged around until check-out. Then we went shopping at the outlet malls. Got all of our Christmas shopping done for Tanner. Then we ate lunch at "Famous Dave's" and then we headed home because we missed Tanner like CRAZY.
We had such a good time. It was romantic, rejuvenating, and restful. We slept through the night, slept in and slept well. But all that being said- I don't know how much longer I could have lasted. I think I called my parents 3 times a day to talk to Tanner and check up on him. That little boy is our life and we missed him so much.
It was good to get away, but felt even better coming home to snuggle our little bear. The 3 days away definitely made me appreciate Tanner more. This past week Chris has been gone for work and so its just been Tanner and I. Luckily the novelty of being back with him hasn't worn off and I still think most everything he does is adorable.
I highly recommend every couple get away for a few days each year- if not more. I am more in love with Chris than ever before and for those few days it was almost like we were newlyweds again. Too corny? Well its true anyway.
But now we're home and back to real life..... oh well- at least I have a great life to get back to.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you two were able to get away for a few days. Jon and I need that desperately! Who knows when that will happen though (with his job and my school). It sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete