Sunday, August 11, 2013

Devil's Den State Park

Yesterday we spent the day at Devil's Den State Park in Winslow, AR.
It was a gorgeous 1-hour drive to the park and it was a beautiful sunny (if not a little humid) day.
We've been having rain almost everyday for the past few weeks, so when we had a break in the rain I knew we had to take advantage of it.
When we arrived we looked around the visitors center, grabbed a trail map and took off.
We decided to do "Devil's Den Hiking Trail". The park ranger said it would be a good one to do with the kids. It took us a total of 2 hours to complete the hike. Which, honestly, I don't think is too bad with two toddlers. Tanner walked/climbed/hiked the entire thing. It was pretty impressive and I was so glad our kids were such troopers!
 
Here are the kids as we set off on our hike. Bailey thought she'd lead the way, while Tanner took his time while he made me so nervous as he jumped down the stairs. Eventually I got him to stop jumping and just walk normal...
We found a cool rock basin that looked like it had been washed out by rain over the years.
I knew that if I wanted to get a family picture, I'd have to do it early in the hike-before everyone got to tired and grumpy.
So here is the obligatory family picture.
and a few others...
Bailey loved collecting leafs. She'd grabbed different colors and then proceed to tell me the colors over and over and over again. (She's very talkative!!!)
I think the kids' favorite part of the hike was when we found the little brown frog.
They were in heaven. Tanner caught him and held him like he was a priceless treasure. It was so funny.
He kept saying "Oh, Mom- he's so cute. Look at my cute little frog"
I was dying!
Then I held it so Bailey could get a closer look. See that little frog in my hand.

Eventually I had to explain how we had to leave the frog where we found him so he could go back to his family. I'm pretty sure the kids were heart-broken.
After finding the frog, the hike got quite a bit more intense. Chris ended up carrying Bailey for part of it because it was slippery and rocky and I was worried about her.
Tanner held my hand and did so good. It was pretty crazy at some parts!
 
We made it to the top of the mountain and found "Devil's Den Cave".
Here is a family picture outside the area by the cave.
Again- not great because we had tired kids at this point.
And the hike was only half way over....
Some of the cool cracks and crevices.
And yes, I'm a nervous Mom and Chris having Tanner down there made me a nutcase!
Again, too close to the edge with my Baby!!!

 
Tanner deemed himself "Keeper of the map" and would frequently check the map and tell us which way to go. Here is Tanner telling Dad where to go next.
 
Another major landmark of our hike was the "Ice box Cave"
Because the cave is so deep underground, the air that comes out is around 55 degrees.
So much cooler that the temperature outside.
We spent a little time resting inside the mouth of the cave because it was so nice and cool.
Here is a pic of us inside the "ice box cave"
The last major landmark was the waterfall. Unfortunately, the park hasn't received the rain we have, so the waterfall wasn't very big. More like consistent sprinkling of rain. But the kids liked it.
Near the end of our hike we found this cool log bench and the kids rested on it for a bit.
I still can't believe what troopers they were. I was so tired so I know they must have been exhausted at this point.
Finally, after two hours, we arrived back at the starting point. We decided we needed to eat some lunch so we found a good spot and unpacked our picnic lunch.
The kids, understandably, ate their entire lunch and asked for more. They worked up such an appetite.
By this point it was a little after 2:00 pm.
We decided to let the kids play at the little water park/pool area and cool off before heading home.
They greatly appreciated the cool water and had so much fun!





 




 
We left the park around 3 and after getting dry clothes and buckled into their car seats, the kids were instantly asleep. They slept the entire drive home and then some.
 
It was such a fun day trip and we definitely plan on going back. We want to go again when the lake is up and we can rent a paddle boat or canoe. That would be so fun. They also have really awesome cabins to rent. We'd love to make a weekend out of it sometime!
 
Anyways, it was a great day and one more thing checked off our NWA bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment