Saturday, November 17, 2012

My first 5K- "The White River Marathon for Kenya"

Today I ran my first 5K. It was the "White River Marathon for Kenya" It was awesome. I was part of something that was just amazing. There is a camaraderie among the runners that is contagious and it makes you feel so energized. It was so fun to be a part of it.  And if was even more fun to know that all the proceeds were going towards the kids of Katito in Kenya. That's a good cause, right?
I woke up at 5:30 this morning with butterflies in my stomach. I was super nervous and I was worried because it was 32 degrees outside. I don't run well and I run even worse in the cold.
Despite those fears, I got dressed and ready and then my parents came over around 6:15 am. My Dad stayed with my kiddos since it was too cold for them to wait at the finish line for me. My mom came with me and was my own personal cheerleader. (Such awesome parents)
Here is a picture of me before leaving the house this morning- and yeah I'm rocking my "Marathon for Kenya" t-shirt. Isn't it obnoxiously bright and awesome? I'm pretty proud of it.
We got to the start point and lined up and before I knew it, we were off. My running partner couldn't be there so I was on my own. I also forgot my watch so I had no idea how fast I was running.
I just ran and ran and ran. Luckily, the first mile is downhill so that gave me a nice start. Then it was just a matter of not stopping.
Eventually I started hearing the music from the finish line and I knew I was getting close.
I couldn't believe it was over so quick.
I finished my first 5K in 30 minutes and 54 seconds. Not bad since my goal time was 40 minutes.
I placed second in my age group for the women's division and I placed 16th overall, out of 58 women.
SOOO excited! It was a great experience even if my legs felt like jelly afterwards.
Here is a video my Mom took of me crossing the finish line- don't mind my strut as I run in- I was pretty pumped!

Here is me after my run!


I felt like belting out "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS" - not that I was the champion, just because I FINISHED!!!!
Oh and for placing second- I got this cute little backpack. haha. Nothing big, but I was still excited.
All in all, I'd say my first 5K was a great experience and I can't wait to do my next one!

1 comment: