Sunday, September 30, 2012

Preschool- The First Month: Letters A-D

As summer vacation began to come to a close, I started to seriously contemplate preschool for Tanner. I knew that I didn't have the guts to stick him in a daycare/preschool yet- (I'd completely bawl my eyes out if we were apart that much) but I also felt that Tanner needed to start some kind of structured/scheduled education.
I decided to start doing preschool lessons at home with him. I planned my lessons around the letters of the alphabet and went to work. We'd cover one letter each week. We'd start with "A" and work our way to "Z". I started planning 3-4 lessons per week, all revolving around the letter for that week. Each lesson would that a different theme, but would reinforce the weekly letter. I have about 1 1/2 hours of alone time with Tanner each day while Bailey takes her morning nap, therefore preschool is from 10-11:00 am, 3-4 times/week.
 
I'm not going to lie. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. It's A LOT of work!!! But its been a month now and I can see major changes with Tanner. His verbal skills shot through the roof. He's counting better, singing songs better, he's recognizing letters and even getting good at drawing some of them.  I couldn't be happier with the results. He's really learning and its so encouraging to me. For example, the other day in the car Tanner started singing a song he learned during his very first lesson and. This was nearly 4 weeks later and he still remembered it. We only sang it during that one day and he was singing it on his own. My heart seriously melted. He's really enjoying his preschool lessons and is learning. Even though it is alot of work, I kind of enjoy putting together the lesson plans and getting our supplies together for our craft each day. (Does that make me super weird?)
 
Anyways, here is a run-down of the lessons we've had so far. (If you are interested in the lesson plans, I have them all saved as word documents, so just let me know)

Week 1= Letter A
A is for Airplane
We learned about the letter "A". We traced the letter "A". Made two different airplane crafts. We flew around outside like airplanes, played an airplane matching game and sang an airplane song.
 Our first day was a total success with Tanner. He loved it and he loved making his own airplane!
A is for Acorn
We learned where acorns come from, traced a letter "A" with acorn tops, made edible acorns and colored acorn tops with markers. I don't think he enjoyed it as much as our airplane day, but he did pretty good!
A is for Alligator
We read "There's an alligator under my bed", traced the letter "A" over and over, talked about how alligator skin feels, made a letter "A" alligator and an alligator mask. At the end of our lesson we ate some alligator skin (fruit roll-ups).
A is for Apple
We traced lots of letter A's. We made our own apple tree, did finger painting to add red apples to trees, red two apple stories, ate apples and applesauce and made an apple with a worm inside that Tanner loves!
 

Week 2= Letter B
B is for Bugs
Its a new week and a new letter. B is for Bugs. Tanner loves his rock bug we painted together and he really loved hunting for bugs. We also learned what sound the letter "B" makes and traced lots of "B"s. The letter B is really hard for Tanner to trace, because its so curvy.
B is for Balls
We talked about the letter "B" some more. We gathered up all the balls in our house (which was a surprisingly high amount) and counted and sorted them my size and texture. We practiced throwing and rolling the balls and then made the yarn balls.
B is for Bike
More tracing the letter "B". We talked about the different parts of a bike and how you have to push on the pedals to make it move. Then after our "lesson" we went for a bike ride. We finally took off the adult push handle and Tanner pushed his pedals and rode his bike all by himself. He was so proud!

Week 3= Letter C
C is for Car
We learned about the letter C, traced a bunch of "C"s and then made this race car from a toilet paper roll. HE LOVED IT. He's actually slept with it that night!
C is for Cookies
We learned more about the letter C. Used crayons to color cookies differently colors, and counted chocolate chips. Oh and of course, made some yummy cookies. Tanner added all the ingredients himself.
C is for Crayons
More tracing the letter C. Talking about what sound "C" makes. Colored  different crayon worksheets and then we did this melted crayon art. Thanks Aunt Sarah for the awesome idea! Tanner LOVED it!

Week 4= Letter D
D is for Dog
We learned what sound the letter "D" makes, we traced the letter "D". We colored some dog pictures, we followed doggy paw prints to a bowl of doggy treats and then we counted doggy bones while wearing doggy ears and a doggy collar. Tanner counted all the way to 10 without any help, multiple times.
D is for Duck
We learned about ducks and did lots of "quacking". We did a ducky matching game and traced more "D's". Then we made this pipe cleaner duck that Tanner simply adores.
D is for Dirt
We did ALOT of digging in the dirt, lookin for worms. We traced the letter "D" on the driveway with chalk. We talked about what lives in the dirt and then made "Dirt cups" for our snack.
D is for Dinosaur
We hunted for the letter "D". We read dinosaur books, we did a dinosaur puzzle and a lacing dinosaur. Then we learned about dinosaurs- how they don't live on the earth now but we can find their bones. So then we went on a dinosaur bone dig. Look what Tanner found. What an awesome little paleontologist!


So that covers the first month of preschool. Its been really fun. I really do look forward to this one-on-one time with my little man each day. I can't believe the progress we've made so far. He's much easier to keep on track now too. He's gotten use to the structure and he knows that he can't run off and play during preschool. He sticks with me and for the most part gives me his attention. He's getting really good at tracing the letters, "A" and "C". I'm loving watching my boy learn. It's amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Tanner is going to be so smart when he goes to school. Seriously, you are an awesome mom! Not very many parents do this kind of stuff with their kids these days. They don't even have to go to the extent of what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jules. I'm hoping some of it is sinking it. Mainly, I want him to be able to sit still for sunbeams next year. I think he'll do ok. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete