Friday, January 15, 2010

Babies Don't Keep- A tribute to motherhood- I'm not gonna lie- kind of sappy

I've fallen in love with this poem. My mom could recite the last stanza, but I never knew the whole poem. It sums up perfectly my feelings about motherhood.

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rock-a-bye, Lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek-peek-a-boo).
The shopping is not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there is a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing "Kanga" and this is my "Roo."
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rock-a-bye, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Ruth Hulburt Hamilton, 1958


So I'm sorry to my sweet husband, our house is sometimes a mess. But I'm busy being a mom- and being a mom is just the best!

Having Tanner come into our lives has taught me so much. I want to be the kind of mom that my mom was for me. I know it sounds impossible, but I don't ever remember my mom raising her voice at us. I'm sure she wanted to sometimes, but she never yelled or anything. She was the perfect example of patience. She always put us first, which is alot of selflessness, because she had five kids. Its only now that I'm grown up- or somewhat grown up- that I can look back and see all the things she did for us and the lack of things that she did for herself. She never ever complained about the sacrifices she made for her babies. And yes- we are all still considered her babies. In one word my mom was amazing.
I hope I can just be a fraction of the awesome mom that she was.

I thought that when I married Chris that life couldn't get any better. I was so content being a wife. I loved taking care of him and knowing that I am his and he is mine. But now, we have someone who is ours- together- a little part of both of us. Its amazing how much love the heart can hold. Motherhood is better than I ever dreamed.

From This....


To this....


To now...






















And a few others from this week. This may seem like overkill to everyone else in the world, but I can't help that I'm obsessed.























Tanner on our couch, being the smiley little boy that I love.


Tanner loves to sleep in our beds. Usually he wakes up around 7:30- 8:00 am to eat- and then he falls asleep again in our bed until Chris leaves for work. Morning snuggles are almost as good as bedtime snuggles.





















Sweet boy in his high chair.






















Tanner napping with his favorite Gerald Giraffe.

2 comments:

  1. Ha I remember that poem. You're such a cheeseball.

    Tell Tanner to stop aging for a few more months so I can get some baby time before he goes all toddler on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know- I think it must be the hormones- but I am such a sap.
    I'll try to convince him, but he's growing up pretty quick. Turning 5 months in one week.

    ReplyDelete