Sunday, November 12, 2017

Christie's 30th Birthday Surprise

My best friend, Christie, is turning 30 in a few weeks and to celebrate I drove over to Texas and surprised her. And man, was she surprised. It was awesome. She was just so shocked to see me at her door and then just over joyed. We had the best time celebrating and partying together.
I had coordinated the entire visit with her sweet husband and so when I got there, he had babysitters lined up and was prepared to take off work early to help out.
We had so much fun! 
So I arrived around 11 am on Thursday. After Christie got over her initial shock, she quickly got ready and we dropped off her 3 year old at one of her friend's houses to play. Then we were able to go have lunch together and do some shopping.
Our first stop was "Tom & Chee". It's basically this famous grilled cheese and tomato soup restaurant. With direction for Christie, I ordered and really enjoyed my grilled cheese sandwich. So yummy!
After lunch we went to Target and walked off all the calories we had just consumed. We browsed happily without children and it was awesome. Then we grabbed some cupcakes and headed back to Christie's house to pick up her girls from school.
When we got home, Steve- Christie's husband, was also home early and we all went to get the girls from school. Then Steve took them home and Christie and I left again for more fun.
We went shopping and ate dinner at one of Christie's favorite places- "Zoe's Kitchen".
The next day was Friday and after Christie got her girls off to school we ran some errands with her little guy, Oliver. Ollie and I really bonded on this trip. 
Before we started our errands though, Christie introduced me to Starbucks' "cranberry bliss bar". Seriously amazing. How did I live before tasting this amazing treat. Sadly, it's seasonal and will be gone after Christmas.  I may have to go home and buy a few trays to freeze. So we got our Starbucks fix and then we headed to Wal-Mart to get a few things. 
Then it was back to Christie's house to hang out. Around lunch time Steve got home and he got the kids packed and ready to go camping. Christie checked the girls out of school early and then Steve and the kids all left to go on their ward camp out. 
That just left Christie and I and our eternally starving stomachs.
We decided on Chick-Fil-A for lunch because we share a common love for CFA. 
It was weird however, to be there without any kids. It was kind of amazing. Oh and I introduced Christie to their amazing chocolate chunk cookies. YUM!
After lunch we did more shopping. I basically bought out "Carter's" and Bailey is officially set on fall/winter clothing now. 
Then we got pedicures and got to relax and chat while someone made our toes look pretty. 
Then we got massages. This was basically the most amazing massage. I fell asleep because I was so relaxed. Seriously- the best. That's why I look so tired in this picture- I had literally just woken up.
So fun! We totally pampered ourselves. 
From our massages, we raced over to a dine-in theater in downtown Fort Worth.
We barely made it in time, but we found our seats and then ordered our dinners.
How amazing is that? We got to watch our movie and have food brought to our seats. It was so nice.
We saw "Murder on the Orient Express" and we both really enjoyed it. 

We ended our day of pampering at "Hopdody" with some amazing custard milkshakes.
(Can you tell we love food? It's one of the foundations of our friendship)

After dessert we went back to Christie's very quiet, kid-free house.
We spent the next couple hours going through the clothes we had bought and organizing her girls' closets. (Yes, I let Christie use me for my organizing skills. I'm such a good friend like that)

Saturday we headed down to Waco, Texas to visit the home of the reality show "Fixer Upper". I'm not a huge follower of the show, but I think it's fun to watch. However, Magnolia and the Silos did not disappoint. It's so stinking cute and everything is just darling.
We had a great time. And my sister Sarah was also there, a total coincidence, visiting with a bunch of her friends. So we got to have lunch with them at the Silo food trucks and hang out with them a little while.. 
So we ate lunch at one of the food trucks that happened to be another grilled cheese place and  it was delicious and totally worth the wait. Then we explored the grounds  for a bit. 
After shopping at the Magnolia store (where we got coordinating t-shirts) we got in line at the Silos Bakery. So amazing. Seriously. I didn't get any cupcakes, but I stocked up on their amazing cookies. 
We are basically the cutest best friends. Am I right?
Oh and with our combined miles,  it was about 550 miles to Magnolia. Worth every mile! 
We had such a great time together. 
We said our goodbyes to Sarah and her friends, grabbed our purchases and started the drive back to Fort Worth. It's only 1 1/2 hours from Christie's house and so it wasn't bad at all. We just talked and laughed and when we hit traffic 30 minutes from her house- we just passed the time by  jamming out to 90's music - like backstreet boys and N'sync. Nothing weird about that. 

Saturday night we went back out shopping and bought a few more things and we ate at this new taco place downtown- because we are cool and hip like that. 

Then we went home to Christie's and I made a birthday cake for Ollie. He turned 4 today and it was fun to be a part of the celebration. So we stayed up until midnight making Oliver a Spider man cake- because why not? 
Then today, I had to leave to come home. It was sad but the sadness was softened by Ollie's reaction to his spider-man cake. He loved it! 
In one last show of true friendship, we wore our matching shirts today.
I left around 10 am and drove the 6 hours home. 
It was so sad to leave, but we had such an amazing weekend together.
It's not everyday that your best friend turns 30 and I'm so glad we got to celebrate the big 3-0 together!
Thanks for all the fun Christie! And we better start planning our 40th birthday celebrations now, because this may be hard to top! Happy Birthday!





No comments:

Post a Comment