Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Nephew's Christmas Present

WARNING
---IF YOUR NAME IS STEPHANIE HERB---- DON'T READ PAST THIS LINE.




Last weekend I finished my nephew's Christmas present. Tanner is so lucky because he has two cousins only about 3 months older than him and then one that is a year older. They are so stinkin' cute and I love those boys to death!

This year, we exchanged names and we got my sister-n-law Stephanie and her family. So we got Phillip, Stephanie and their 18-month old Chase. I was so excited to start working on this project. I knew what I wanted to do for Chase right away.
Chase is REALLY into TRACTORS right now. HE LOVE LOVE LOVES THEM! He's also a little country boy, so the theme for this project was easy.

I made him a card table play fort. The entire fort is farm themed.
The entry to the fort is a barn and the barn door opens so he can crawl inside.

It Velcros closed. I've tested the door on Tanner and he gets in and out just fine.


I sewed their name on the barn too- just so our little cowboy doesn't get lost and go into the wrong barn.

The next side of the fort is a garden.

With ripe lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and pumpkins. The lettuce, tomatoes and carrots come off and can be picked for his "Harvest"





The backside is my friend Betsy. I used the faux-cowhide material so it even feels soft like a cow.

There are also a couple of cornstalks nearby he can pick if he gets hungry. The corn just fits snugly in their husks.

The last side on the outside is a HUGE GREEN (John Deere is the only way to go) TRACTOR. It's made from the minky material and I'm guessing this will be his favorite side. The window of the tractor lets you peek inside the fort. And the entire tractor is stuffed so it has a 3D appearance.



That's it for the outside.
I went ahead and did a little fun on the inside too though, because I didn't want him to get bored sitting in there.

One panel has a hay bale and a lasso for when he needs to round up his cattle.


And because every cowboy needs a place to hang his hat at the end of a long day, this panel has just that. And a window to peek from.


The last panel on the inside has a book and flashlight pocket and inside is a tractor book and mini flashlight. Because cowboys need to relax after a long day's work.


Well- That's that. I'm relieved its done but I know I'll have to start on another one soon. Tanner has had such a blast playing with this that He'll be getting one for his second birthday.


I hope my sweet little nephew likes it- I know Tanner does. And if it doesn't get used- I'll fly back out there and take it home with me- OK just kidding- but honestly Tanner is going to be so sad to see this fort go.

3 comments:

  1. So amazing! Wow! Great job- I can't believe all the time you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. emily, you are out of control! seriously, this looks so good! im glad youre getting so good at these, you can make them for my children too:)
    chase will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. You have a lot of patience to make something like this. I hope you will make me cool things whenever I have kids. But, by then, you'll probably have five, so you won't have time. :D

    ReplyDelete