Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Our First Visit to the ER


I really thought our first visit to the ER would be with Tanner. I figured my wild 4-year old would have us there much sooner than my sweet baby girl. Well not really a baby anymore. Bailey will be 2 1/2 next month. 
Anyways, Saturday night Bailey spiked a fever but she didn't have any other symptoms. No cough. No runny nose. Her tummy was fine. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. We dosed her with Motrin and alternated with Tylenol and she was ok. Then Sunday, after church, she started telling us she had to go potty about every minute. We would have just gotten her off the toilet and then she'd tell us she had to go again. But then she would wouldn't go and she'd tell me it was "hard" and that she couldn't go. 
That had me worried. After talking to my Mom and doing some research online, I called the doctor "on call" at our pediatrician's office to see what I should do. 
The doctor told me it sounded like a urinary tract infection and because of her high fevers she told me to take her to the ER right away. 


So we rushed across town to the ER and got checked in.  She was acting fine and happy. I'm sure everyone there wondered why I had my daughter at the ER. But I was just following orders and I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. 
I had to convince Bailey that the face masks were super cute in order for her to keep hers on. But once she was convinced it was cute, she kept it on the whole time. I worried about the flu, viruses and other sickness at the ER, so we both wore masks and sanitized our hands every two seconds. 

Bailey was so patient and happy. We just sat together with some of her favorite toys and watched "My Little Ponies" on my kindle. 

Then after 3 hours of waiting, we finally got called back to see a doctor. After analyzing her urine sample, the doctor confirmed she had a UTI. He said the bacteria count was pretty high and he was surprised with how happy she was acting.  She really liked her special hospital bed. She really was a champ the whole time. I think I was more of wreck than she was. 
Unfortunately, the doctor prescribed a shot in her bum.  Bailey was less than thrilled with the nurse who was giving her the shot. She cried and cried and kept asking "What are you doing to me?" It broke my heart. 
But after some apple juice and a little more "My Little Pony" we were all set to go home. We were told to go see her pediatrician in the morning for a follow-up.  

We saw her pediatrician yesterday and he put her on a 7-day course of antibiotics. Bailey is doing great. Her fever is gone and she seems like she's feeling much better. She's still doing pretty good going potty on the toilet so I'm glad her UTI didn't ruin her potty training. 

Anyways, I'm glad to have that milestone out of the way. Hopefully we wont have anymore ER visits for a long time.  But I have to say, it was way less dramatic than I expected. Yeah, we were at the ER for a total of 4 hours, but Bailey was such a sweetheart and so well behaved the whole time. I'm so grateful for my sweet girl and so happy she's better!




No comments:

Post a Comment