Sunday, July 17, 2011

Time with the Fam

With Gram's funeral on Friday, we had family coming in all week. Although the reason for the family reunion wasn't happy, we were still able to enjoy each other's company and get in some quality cousin time.
The funeral was really beautiful. Everyone spoke well and the musical numbers were wonderful. I,of course, was practically in tears the entire time- but it really was amazing the number of people whose lives were touched by Grams and her kindness.
Everyone has been so wonderful- and I can't express my appreciation for all those who have cared for my family this past week. The funeral home employees were especially kind. They took into our family's every need and anticipated everything. They took care of everything from the visitation, to the flowers being transported, thank you cards, sticky notes for dishes that need to be returned- they even had water bottles for everyone at the graveside dedication. It was such a comfort to not have to worry about all the details of the funeral.
After the viewing at the funeral home we all met up at Gram's house. The Aunts had decided that each grand-daughter should pick out a piece of Gram's jewelry to have to remember her by. We didn't really realize how much jewelry Grams had. By the end I think each girl had atleast 3-4 jewelry pieces and a couple scarfs. It was such a fun way to end the night. Each piece of jewelry held memories and it was fun to reminisce about Grams wearing each one. Now each time I wear a piece of Gram's jewelry I can think of her.
Some of the jewelry laid out on Gram's bed.

My cousin Shannon, my Aunt Jan and my sister Sarah admiring a necklace.

More jewelry and in case you can't tell who that is in the background with the belly button sticking out- thats me...

After the funeral we all hung out at Grams house together, chatting and eating.
Later we snapped a "few" family pictures...
All of Gram's grandkids

The grandkids and spouses (minus a few spouses)

The Whole family that was able to come for the funeral.

The Drake Family- Don't mind that my child wouldn't turn around for the camera...

Everyone was leaving at different times over the next two days, but we were still able to fit in a movie- we saw Harry Potter. (it was pretty good) Plus the girls got mani/pedis and the boys went out to eat Korean food. (My toes look awesome- by the way) It was fun to hang out with everyone.
We are planning on a big family reunion for the 4th of July next year- so that will be awesome. I just love my family and its good to know that although we've lost our sweet Grams, everyone is still willingly to make the effort to get together.
I'm grateful for that the family I will be spending eternity with is so awesome!

3 comments:

  1. I wish Jon and I could have been there. I'm glad you had so much family out there to share the wonderful memories you all had with your Grandma. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I think that's the first time I've ever seen Julieta wear shorts.... but long sleeves??? Is she still cold all the time? Even with the humidity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it so much! did you steal these pics from maren? i want them!

    ReplyDelete