Friday, January 17, 2014

January Happenings

Well the month of January has mainly consisted of us trying to not get sick. The flu, several different viruses and colds and strep throat is sweeping through the area without mercy.
Our defense mechanism- stay away from everyone and avoid sharing germs. Oh and lots and lots of oils. LOTS of oils.
The week after new years we got hit with another snow storm. School was, of course, cancelled.
We spent most of these snow days inside because it was so cold. With the wind, it felt like -23 degrees outside. Crazy! 
We made snow ice cream one day. The kids loved that. We dyed it blue and added sprinkles. 

We also made these awesome colored ice marbles. Basically I filled water balloons with food coloring and water and then waited for them to freeze. Then we popped the balloons and got these little marbles.
True to character, Bailey only wanted to play with the pink ones. 
Tanner had a lot of fun with these marbles. We stacked them and rolled them in the snow. He liked it when I filled his arms with them. Love this sweet boy.  

My kids both got coughs and because I'm paranoid, I kept us home from swim. They didn't have fevers or running noses but I wasn't taking any chances. We just stayed in our PJ's and took it easy.
Bailey was feeling pretty good. She loves just playing with her toys and snuggling. 

She's totally her momma's girl. Shes always telling me "Say Cheese Mom" and "Look at the camera."
Love her!
Tanner didn't feel 100% and was more than happy to snuggle on the couch. Poor little tired eyes. 
Bailey is totally in love with her "My little Ponies" she got for Christmas. It's adorable. 
Finally, about a week after the snow, we got some decent sunshine and heat and the snow melted.
We hadn't seen the ground in so long, my kids didn't know what to think. We went to Daddy's work to have a "picnic at the cafeteria" with him and then we came home and played for a while. 
Tanner actually asked me if we had a backyard. It had been that long....


We might have been a little surprised to see the sun in the sky. It's been a hard winter!!!

When the weather turned cold again, we decided we needed some new indoor activities. So we tried yoga.
Oh how I laughed. My kids have my complete lack of coordination and Chris' complete lack of flexibility. 
But they look pretty cute doing yoga. 


One Friday night we ordered a pizza and watched "Despicable Me 2". It was super cute.
But then Chris told me he had never seen the first "Despicable Me". So we planned a movie night with a themed snack.
How adorable are these little minions? I love their goggles. Seriously.
The kids helped me make these and they couldn't wait to eat them. 




So that night we watched the first "Despicable Me" and ate our cupcakes. Don't mind Bailey's pantless state. Pants aren't required... 
This past Monday we were struggling. We've been trying to limit our tv now that the sun is out and we can play outside a bit more. But Monday it was too cold to play so we were inside again.
We busted out the dice. Tanner was enthralled.
No joke,we played with these dice for 2 hours. 
We just stacked them and made them into towers over and over again. We did work on some counting and we picked out our favorite colors. Tanner loves his dice so much. 
Then we had a tea party. My kids  crack me up. They totally make all the appropriate sounds when eating.
But Bailey was the funniest. She would say "Now take a drink. Now eat your sandwich. Now take a drink"
She was quite the bossy host. 


Pretty much, Bailey loves having tea parties and I think we might have to have a real one soon- with real food because I can only pretend to eat for so long. 

Anyways, we still have the occasional freezing cold day, but we are surviving the winter pretty well. The kids haven't been really sick yet. We just keep fighting off coughs but it never really progresses. I'm so glad. I think our complete isolation helps.
I'm so ready for Spring. No more sickness!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment