Sunday, June 11, 2023

Bailey's First Year at Young Women's Camp

Bailey and I just got home from a wonderful 3 days at the Bentonville Stake Young Women's Camp. 
It was so fun and we are so exhausted!!
We went up Tuesday evening to set up tents and since I was there as the stake craft leader again, I set up all my stuff. The girls were able to set up their tents and get everything unpacked and ready for the week Tuesday night. It was a nice cool evening too, which helped alot!
Wednesday morning we met at our church building, bright and early, to head off to camp together. 
I had a car full of girls and it was a noisy and excited 1-hour drive to camp. 
Bailey and I unintentionally matched our first day. 
Once we got there, I separated from our ward to camp with the other stake leaders. 
I was spoiled and got to sleep indoors in the A/C. There were mice and cockroaches so there was definitely a trade off to have the A/C but I was still grateful. 
The first couple hours of the morning were spent with all the wards getting set up. Since our girls did theirs the night before, they kind of hung out and helped organize stuff for their ward leaders. 
Then we all met together as a stake for camp kickoff. 
This year our theme was a military vibe based around the mutual theme for the year- Philippians 4:13
    "I can do all things through Christ which strengthenth me" 
We did roll call- the different wards sounded off with their own cheers, we introduced leaders, went over rules and the YCL's handled everything so well. 

Then the girls got to split off and attend different classes. 
Each day the theme was based on a different way we are strengthen- Physically, emotionally or spiritually. The first day it was about how he strengthens us spiritually. There were a lot of different classes and I didn't see Bailey or her friends much. I did catch her at the bread making class at one point. "Christ is the bread of life" was the idea behind the class and the girls loved it. They got to eat all their successes. 
 


There was also lots of hair braiding- which is so classic "girls camp" that my heart was so happy. 
Day two found the girls learning about how Christ can strengthen them emotionally. 
They also got to do the service project and craft. This was my time to shine. 
The girls made morse code bracelets with a word on it related to the theme. 
They also made white temple scrunchies. 
That night they got to have a neon dance party. 
Bailey's friend's mom, made all the girls matching neon splattered t-shirts to wear and we brought 200 glowsticks to share. It was so cute to watch the girls have so much fun. 
It was a wild party. 

I love this girl of mine. 
Our last full day was focused around how Christ can strengthen us physically and this was the day when we participated in the "Tough Mudder" obstacle course. 
The girls worked hard and had a great time. 



I got a before picture of Bailey and I, not realizing we would have an epic after pic.
I hadn't planned on participating but when Bailey got to the mud crawl she didn't want to do it, but she promised that if I did it, so would she. So in I went and when I emerged there was mud every where. 
But Bailey did it too and I was so proud of her. 

We were covered but we had a blast. 
 
These first year girls had a blast together but they were definitely ready for showers afterwards.

After everyone got cleaned up, we had lunch and then some more classes/workshops.
Eventually it was time for skits and our stake presidency came to visit too, along with the Bishop from each ward. 
We ended our night with awesome testimony meetings and I was so glad that I was able to be at camp for Bailey's first year. 
I was also very blessed to have some great friends at camp as leaders too. 
Mckenzie was the camp nurse and Tori was our ward camp director. We had so much fun together. 
 
I'm grateful for these women that love and teach our girls. They sacrifice of themselves to make my daughter feel known, loved and wanted. That's something I can never repay or even fully express how grateful I am for. 


It was a great camp and although we came home tired- it was a blast and I would go back again in a heartbeat.
I have no idea if they will ask me to be in charge of the crafts again next year, but I'm grateful for all the time I get to spend with amazing young women and loving leaders. 
I loved Girls' camp and so did Bailey. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment