Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Herb Family Church History- Day 2

Then this morning we woke up early, grabbed a yummy hot breakfast from our hotel and then hit the road again. We made one pit stop to visit Adam-ondi-Ahman. Orginally it was called Spring Hill but later the name was changed by Joseph Smithand it became a settlement for the latter-day saints. A stake was organized there and in 1835 revelation identified the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahmen as the place where Adam blessed his posterity after leaving the Garden of Eden. 
Someday the saints will once again gather to Adam-ondi-Ahman and I wonder if we will be among them. I sure hope so. I love this picture overlooking the valley. 


After finishing a Adam-ondi-ahman, we drove to Carthage, Illinois. We visited Carthage jail and learned all about the imprisonment and martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. 
 Benson was looking out the windows to get a feel for how thick the walls were and how far Joseph fell when he was shot. Tucker found the hole from the bullet that killed Hyrum. 
 
This statue is so sweet of the two brothers. I love Hyrum's hand on Joseph, always supporting him. 
I hope my boys can have that kind of relationship. 
And here we are outside of the window where Joseph fell after being killed. 
This spot is sacred ground where innocent blood was shed. 
While listening to the missionaries tell us about that sad day, the spirit was so strong. 
I'm so grateful that we have a knowledge of eternal life and the resurrection made possible through our Savior's atonement. 



From Carthage we jetted over to Nauvoo and checked into our hotel. Then the older two boys, Dad, Uncle Phillip and I left to go to the temple. Aunt Stephanie was gracious enough to stay behind with the kiddos. We got to do baptisms for the dead and it was such a cool experience. I sure love my sweet near-teenager. He's such a good kid and it was a privilege to watch him be baptized for the dead. I'm so grateful for my husband, who is a worthy priesthood holder and who was able to perform those ordinances for the dead. 
Chase and Tanner enjoyed being together and the temple and I was so glad I was able to be there with them all. 

 

 


After we got back from the temple, we ate dinner and settled more into our hotel room. Aunt Stephanie had booked us a room and it was a family living area that had three bedrooms, two bathrooms and a big kitchen. It was perfect. We also picked up a grocery order on the way and we were able to make all our meals in our room, which saved so much money. 

After eating, Aunt Stephanie, Chase, Tanner and I went to watch the British Pageant. 
None of us had seen it and it was sooo good. 
We also enjoyed some pre-pageant activities. Tanner found the yo-yo toy he remembered so well from our last visit. 
We all enjoyed the pageant and it was a great way to end our first day in Nauvoo. 

We drove past the temple on the way back to the hotel and it was so gorgeous all lit up. 
We love Nauvoo so much already!

Now I have to go to bed because we have a very big day of exploring tomorrow. 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment